Friday, 1 March 2013

Half pass and flying changes.

Ace's behaviour continues to delight, but his ability begins to astound.

Today I wanted shoulder in and travers in trot. I got both fairly easily so I asked for half pass by turning him onto the diagonal and putting on a travers aid. He did it in both directions at the first time of asking. 

I have had one session of counter canter in his whole career so far. Today he had perfect 20m counter canter half circles and would easily have completed the circle if I had intended to.

His canter to walk is so improved that I asked for a flying change, and he changed in front immediately and was just a little late behind.

I tried lengthened canter for the first time ever, (never dared before!!) and away he went, and back he came again when I sat up and squeezed the rein.

Most of our trot work is now sitting, and he is wonderfully adjustable from a sitting trot - up, forward, slow, left, right, whatever. His mouth is a continuing delight, I've never ridden a horse like him in his willingness to respond to the bit and not lean or pull through it. When unbalanced, he leans temporarily and then responds to my rebalancing aids and lightens again.

I can't wait to ride him again, I am having such fun.

While I was cooking him I popped Woody on the lunge and he is very nearly sound. I think by Sunday I will probably be taking him out for a walk. I don't want to rush things, but on the other hand it does his feet no good to be out of work, so it's a fine balance.

For the hunt tomorrow, the lines for which have already been walked and pronounced to be in superb shape, there are TWELVE hedges under four foot high on the second leg. This is just what Radar and I need to get going again. I am nervous but looking forward to it.

C

4 comments:

  1. It's a happy day for you on all fronts! I am so delighted to read of Ace's talent and willingness. This is the horse you originally thought he was. Your ability to problem solve resulted in a warm, happy back for Ace and what rewards you have reaped! We would so love to see a movie of your lovely Ace!

    I think a walk is a very good idea for Woody. I can always tell better from the back of a horse what is really going on.

    So lines for hunts are walked. I think they should be but I was thinking they might be too long to walk. After the first hedge you will be grinning and ready for more. Have fun!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Exactly ML, Ace is now the horse who we set out to buy in the first place. It only took me two years to work him out and for him to grow up :-)

    The NECDH walk the lines, the CFDH don't, whichis why from now on I am only hunting with the NECDH.

    I hope you are right about that first hedge :-) !

    C

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am hoping you are out happily jumping hedges on that big wonderful hunter of yours!

    Meanwhile, I'd wager a meter stick could not quite measure the size of the smile on your face with Ace's amazing talent and progress. His natural balance--what you saw when you bought him--and now a willingness your inspired with all the extra care and problem-solving you've been trough, have really made him into the dream horse you wanted. I've never quite had a horse able to "do it all" easily, but I have had glimpses of having my horses able to master one or two movements easily. It's really a great feeling.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. you got your wish Jean :-))))

      And Ace? My dream horse! If I could only keep one I would give up hunting and keep him. It would be a close call, but his future possibilities are so, so exciting.

      C

      Delete