Monday, 4 March 2013

Sharp wind, sharp horse !

It was really cold this morning and the wind was very sharp and so was Ace. On his toes, looking for an excuse to skip about. I simply avoided the barrels until he had settled down and then had no problem with them. I really do seem to have learned how to ride him, finally.

We did some trot/walk/trot, some walk/canter/walk, a little rein back (which is definitely getting better now) and finished with some medium trot. His trot has changed completely over the winter. It was always long and floaty and full of suspension. He has added to that a real "punch" like a metronome. And once you have that "punch", all you have to do to turn it into medium is to tap his sides and he goes up and out into medium. He rarely breaks to canter, and if he does it takes only one gentle correction for him to realise that you want him to stay in trot, but lengthen.

I am waiting for the weather to warm so SH will not freeze, and then I hope to have some super video to show you, and for me to gawp at as well.

I've also ridden Woody. It was really useful, because from on top it is absolutely obvious that his problem is in the right hind.  He is completely sound now in front. I can't find any pain, filling, or heat in the hind leg, so I don't know where the problem is, but it does not feel as if it is any higher than his hock.  His back is soft and squishy throughout, and he is swinging through the hips. The lameness is not apparent in walk and very mild in trot, so I think I will continue to work him in walk, for the sake of his front feet.

He was a sweetheart. He was the best he has ever been to school, taking a contact almost from the start. He had forgotten nothing at all. In fact, he could not have been any more different from the crazy beast who went hunting if he was a miniature Shetland or a 20 hand Shire with full feather. It really is just hunting that does it to him.

Isn't that a bugger, pardon my language? The one thing I really needed him to do, and he can't. Oh well, someone else is going to get a wonderful free horse!

C


ps woohooo, thought it was a bit big. We got a bit close too, but he's giving it some room :-)))

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151464299671492&set=a.10151463299116492.1073741825.676441491&type=3&theater 


I trust you'll all notice that only 4 horses jump the hedge - 3 masters in front of me in red coats and me. I think everyone else, including two other masters and the huntsman, went round :-)


4 comments:

  1. Looks like such lovely hunting ground!! Neat to see you jumping from afar like that. Gives a perspective to the whole event!

    Ace sounds, well...Ace!! Hope you can get some video soon.

    As for Woody, once again, while his lack of hunting skill is sad, I am glad to hear he is still a good ride on the flat and that he remembers his lessons. Hope he comes sound soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course it not something you've normally be able to see in my photos, I didn't think of that. It was a great day :-)

      C

      Delete
  2. Very, very cool - jumping the hedge that is!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tetley would have been a superb hunter!

      C

      Delete