Wednesday, 13 March 2013

Who'd a thought it!

Radar has flying changes!!! Wow, what a clever, clever boy. And they are cracking good ones too - huge and expressive jump-throughs. What fun, that he is capable of getting the higher movements. It's happened because he has developed so much more control of his body, and a much steadier mouth.

And then there's Ace. I wonder how many people would think twice before jumping onto a highly strung, highly bred horse who is still several months off his seventh birthday and has not been ridden for six days, especially when it is minus two?

He was an angel, so quiet and relaxed I could hardly believe it. I didn't do any serious work because I was short of time, but we walked, trotted and cantered a circuit in each direction and the only thing he did was roll an eyeball at the barrels.

What fun I am going to have with this pair this summer :-)

C

3 comments:

  1. What fun!! Some horses just "get" the flying change right away. My Russell was that way and so was Toby. PJ was pretty tricky and so far, Tucker doesn't care since his counter canter is so balanced. He also doesn't "jump" through the canter the way Radar does, and that makes it harder to encourage the "fly."

    As for Ace...pretty amazing. You have clearly figured him out and now you can really enjoy training him. You are so right to be excited about the upcoming competition and riding season. It sounds as if it's going to be tons of fun!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Radar is really easy Jean because he has such a huge elevated canter. He is in the air for so long, and so high, that it is really easy to judge where he is at the top and about to come down, and I actually have time to change the bend and then apply the aid, and he got it clean on the second time of asking on each lead. I love changes, they are such fun moves :-)))

    C

    ReplyDelete
  3. excellent news - in a way, particularly with Radar who i don't think you expected to be doing this with did you?

    ReplyDelete