Thursday, 17 October 2013

Another hurdle cleared

Well our first session on the arena was as interesting as I expected it to be. He stamped and backed up when I got on, so as soon as I had the jacket clipped on, I walked him off. He was tense, walking short, and clearly expecting pain. On every turn he took a deep breath and seemed to hold it until we had safely got round the corner. On halts he braced his back upwards and then seemed surprised that nothing hurt.

Finally, after ten minutes, he let it go and started to relax. I was going to stop at ten minutes but I decided that we would gain more if I carried on for another few minutes now that he had realised that it did not hurt.  He ambled around long and low, which is just what we want at the moment.

To finish, I took him into the far corner and asked him if he would like to trot to the gate, which he did, very quietly and cautiously. I repeated that, with both of us less cautious on the second run. Then I  turned him away from the gate intending to come back in a circle and stop and get off. But as I turned away, he trotted again, so I did an S shape to see if he would turn both ways easily, and he did, so then I stopped and got off.

The tension was expected. To trot today was not. Huge progress, mainly because of what a generous natured horse he is.

Radar and I went for a hack. Suffice it to say that it was a 50 minute hack that took nearly two hours, because each time I tried to walk him home he was ricking my back in his rush to get there. I have to resolve this, because he is really hurting me lately. I am thinking of putting him in a hackamore and seeing what he does, because he just won't take a steady contact on a bit when he's trying to get home quicker than I want, and the rhythm all goes to pot.

I am so looking forward to riding Ace again. Saturday probably because I am working tomorrow.

Cl

9 comments:

  1. Yay what a massive achievement. It seems that he's going to learn quite quickly which is brilliant. I can only imagine the size of your grin today!
    I'm so pleased for you

    Lyndac

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It fell off the sides of my face yesterday. Heaven knows where it's reached by now :-)

      C

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. I need to be careful not to rush it now. He does find it tiring to carry my weight after two months off. What a great start though :-)

      C

      Delete
  3. so pleased you didn't need the dummy, LOL. he'll realise soon enough that the pain is all gone... then of course you'll need to be aware of the natural hi jinks he didn't used to do because of pain....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great news. Clearly that pain memory is strong in Ace, so you will have to put up with some tension for a while yet. But his generous offer to trot for you proves what a good horse he really is. He wants to work and he wants to try.

    Keep that smile growing. It's bound to land somewhere. *G*

    As for Radar....I've been on rides like that. Circle after endless circle each time said horse tries to jig off. The hackamore might help if he will take a steadier contact on it. The in and out of contact stuff gets old really fast. I'm not surprised your back hurts.

    ReplyDelete
  5. He throws his right shoulder forwards to escape me Jean, and that jinks my left SI joint.

    I'm testing bigger knee blocks. I think they helped today.

    C

    ReplyDelete
  6. I totally agree with riding Ace longer than you originally planned so that he has time to work though/understand that the pain is gone. How exciting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It seemed too good an opportunity to miss ML. :

    C

    ReplyDelete