More evidence today, as if we needed any more, that Ace is thriving on a turnout rehab. I am not now massaging him or putting him under the heat lights, yet his back continues to get looser and looser. It's evident today for the first time that there is a thickening of the amount of muscle on either side of his spine, about 6-8 inches wide. Quite simply, although the muscle is more spongy, it is harder to feel the top of his ribcage (or is the the spinal processes you can feel there, I'm not sure?)
I lunged him and got the same as yesterday. Huge walk overtrack, trot tracking right up, canter longer and looser. It was windy today and both boys are looking a bit frisky. Ace decided to turn his canter circle into a nearly-gallop circle, just for the sheer hell of being able to do it. I couldn't see him having any problem with it as he went round me, so I let him slow in his own good time. He looked so happy!
I didn't want to ride Radar today because he is causing me some problems with my left sacroiliac. So I popped him on the lunge too. Off he went. Round and round and round and round. Oooozing power and athleticism. I put the whip on the floor and just stood and watched, while he continued for a very long time in canter and trot for the simple pleasure of movement. I had to sto him on the left rein so that he still had some energy to go to the right. And off he went again, and I just stood there until he decided he had done enough miles for the day. It's one easy way to get a horse fit!
I have been musing about the vets visit on Tuesday. I wish they hadn't come, they've left me with an even worse impression than I had before :-( While the more senior one was great, the new head of Orthopedics was really the epitome of everything Allan and I were trying to explain about. First, she tried to take control of my horse again, sticking her fingers hard into his shoulder blade because I told her how his front leg movement had changed. This was after I had asked both of them to do nothing at all which would hurt him, so as not to make him fear pain again. Then of course she offered to negotiate the timing of when I was allowed to turn him out.
Once back in the house, the comments I can remember her making were no more confidence inspiring. First, when I told her that other people were also having issues with their service, she said 'we're on the phone, why don't people tell us if they have problems!'
Then when Allan had gone through a set of notes that he charges his clients a lot of money for, and I had explained all the issues that I and my friends are having with their service, she said 'we know all this', and repeated it in case we hadn't heard her.
I now feel that apart from confirming that Ace has progressed well in spite of his against-the-rules rehab, they wasted our time. Why couldn't they just have left it at the apology?
Whinge over :-)
C
They really have no idea that they're providing a service to a customer who can choose from whom they prefer to use! Their arrogance will be their downfall. Is the head of Orthopaedics a qualified vet? Jeez they would soon be out of work round here, we're inundated by equine vets, they are all upping their game as the competition is driving it.
ReplyDeleteGlad he's doing so well
That's the crazy thing Tracey, I have a choice of two other specialist equine practices with small hospitals that are better equipped than theirs within a one hour drive. In addition to those there is a third equine specialist practice less than half an hour from me. I have gone with them because I have known and rated their senior guy for over fifteen years.
ReplyDeleteIronically, he used to work for the practice who I have just sacked, and left to set up on his own. Another vet said to me when he went - 'the trouble with Arnie is, he's too much of a perfectionist'. She meant it as a criticism. When my horse is involved, I take it as a huge positive!!
I should have moved after they mishandled Jazz, but I was seduced by the hospital facility. Now I realise that because Ace was treated away from home last year for his infection,, they were able to run me up hundreds of pounds of billing just for bandage materials. This new practice would treat him at home, and if treatment is required elsewhere, they will recommend the best place to have it done, not just bung him into their own hospital.
C
Well and good that you are done with them. However, as I do recall you were really confident about the surgeon who was doing the back surgery, so using them instead of one of the other practices was a good choice. As well, when it came to that glitch in getting the one ligament cut, another surgeon may not have persisted.
ReplyDeleteSo, think of it this way. You used them, got what you needed and walked away, relatively well off. As well, you gave them every chance to satisfy your complaints and fix things and they didn't. Having them come to your farm was rather an inconvenience for them and they were the ones who decided not to listen--or at least respond to your complaints--and offer better service. You went above and beyond any obligations you have to them.
Too bad they do not think their clients's needs and opinions are of any value. Let them keep the clients who don't care. Go on to a vet service who accommodates your needs and concerns.
The best vets do not always have sparkling personalities. One of my best was often so quiet and introspective you'd think he hated talking to people. But he sure knew his horses and always did more than right by mine. And, he would always listen to everything I had to say and weigh it in both his diagnosis and treatment.
I know you always do best by your horses. Now find a vet who does as well and respects you for your skills.
The surgeon is a freelance, Jean, I could have him to operate whatever hospital I chose. He was good, but he's only done twelve before. I could instead have gone to the practice which has now done hundreds. Still, it looks like he's done a great job :-)
DeleteC