Friday, 9 August 2013

Waiting Game


Ace's stomach continues to trouble him and again he shuffled and kicked at his stomach and wasn't happy until he'd done a big poo - in the same place again!  At least this time it was not violent green colour, so something is changing and I hope that soon he will be happy when I get on too. It is so nerve wracking getting on a horse who tenses when you go to sit in the saddle.

He was lacking forwardness, in fact he was positively sticky in the trot to start with. And then in the canter too, he kept dropping back to a lacklustre trot. I didn't feel safe to push him on, so I went for transitions instead. I trotted the sides and walked the corners and then I did the same cantering the sides and walking the corners. That got the trot moving at last, and some of it was very good indeed.

I ended as always with a free walk on a long rein, but he just would not release his back. I kept at it because I need to know that he can do a relaxed and swinging walk, otherwise I'd be suspicious that the injections are wearing off. If that happens I will stop riding him until the operation is done.  I think all he wanted was to be allowed to go in before it rained, because he finally released himself and did a beautiful free walk on both reins, with no obvious reason to account for the change except that he suddenly decided to do it.

His back is still very spongy to feel, but he has started lying down a lot again, like he used to before the injections. Not as much as he did, but certainly more than he has in the last month.  The jury is very much out as to whether he is feeling any pain from his back or not.

After doing ten miles on the lunge yesterday I didn't feel that Radar really needed any work today :-)

C

2 comments:

  1. Well, whatever is going on with Ace, you are certainly aware of the possibilities. At this point, that's a good thing as you can "read" his physical condition through his behavior. It's times like this I wish our horses could talk to us directly. I know you will do whatever is best for Ace, even if it means a layoff until his surgery.

    But, from the poo behavior, I'd be most suspicious of tummy trouble, which might even explain his lying down. If he's feeling a little colicky, that would be symptomatic.

    Sending good wishes for a speedy recovery of your good boy.

    And, yes, although Radar earned a rest, he probably would have been fine for another ten miles of work today. I can only imagine what his musculature must be like at this point.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can only tell you that at ten he has matured into his part-draft body superbly and is a huge eyefull of shining toned muscle Jean. I am very proud of him, he looks like a 13th century war horse :-)

    C

    ReplyDelete