Friday, 2 August 2013

Deja vue


If I look back to early June I reckon I could probably just copy a posting I made then, a day or two after we started Ace on omeprazole.  Today he was quiet and co-operative. He barely noticed the girth being done up and he stood nicely and calmly when I got on. His work was at first perhaps 'defensive', his attitude maybe a little 'brittle' and he was reluctant to really commit to his work. It was noticeable that he had more issues with my right leg (tail flashing for example) than my left. It's a classic sign of ulcers as the stomach sits to the right.

But he worked himself free, and was a very good boy. We ended on 30m circles, first trot half walk a quarter, then trot half canter three quarters. His back was loose and swinging once he released his mental tension of the anticipation, or reality, of stomach pain.

It is a devil to have two completely different problems, albeit probably related, in the same horse, but thank goodness we have managed to work out what each of them is, and have a solution for both.

Radar and I had a rolilcking good hack and he will soon be fit enough for the hunting season. The meet card has been published and right up to Christmas I have a choice of Saturdays or Wednesdays, or both. If the Bloodhounds get their act together we will also have the choice of Sundays!  Maybe I should buy another hunter???  (Joke !!!!)

C

4 comments:

  1. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly you can resolve certain behavior issues with omeprazole. Shut down that excess acid, and the horse just feels so much better. Glad to hear it seems to be working with Ace.

    Radar and "rollicking" somehow just seem to go together. How wonderful to have so many choices for hunting this year. Radar will be one happy boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The reaction to the medication is effectively a diagnosis in itself, isn't it Jean.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is rather sobering to find that the medication can work so quickly, when there are so many horses that might be in need of it, and yet don't get it.

    The Hunts sorted themsevles out,then? Earlier you were concerned that there wouldn't be any meets you could go to as there had been trouble.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The politics are horrendous Judith, but one can't run without hounds and the other can't run without subscribers and due to a new road, neither have enough land. We'll see how it goes!

    There is masses of bad feeling from when they split into two fifteen years ago. It's a two season trial. The extended meet card is a good start!

    C

    C

    ReplyDelete