Friday, 23 August 2013

How does he know?

Ten days.

Usually when I go into the barn with a headcollar in my hand, Ace walks away from me. The last few days he's been coming over to talk to me instead. He knows I'm not going to try and ride him. How?

I took Radar up onto a flattish hilltop to do some interval training. He was extremely keen and difficult to hold. That's when he's on his own. We're going to have some arguments at our first hunt, I think.

I didn't go to the farm ride today because I slightly tweaked a hip holding him together a few days ago when we were schooling. It was the right decision. There's no point pushing it now only to make myself unfit for the opening meet.

Tomorrow we will be in single figures for Ace.  He's very stiff, poor lad, but he seems very settled and mentally relaxed.He still has a muzzle on at night, which he accepts me putting on him with no problem.

Which is what I must now go and do.

C

4 comments:

  1. Never underestimate our horse's ability to understand what we tell them...either out loud, or in our minds. Ace knows you have decided not to ride him and, if you explain it to him a little more, perhaps, he will even understand about the surgery. Make sure you let him know he will be just fine and there is no reason to be anxious about it.

    You can even describe the procedure if you know exactly what they are going to do, and tell him about the recovery afterwards.

    If it doesn't reassure him, it will help reassure you!

    Radar must be feeling REALLY good about now. Hope he remembers his manners on the first hunt out. *G*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I know every snip I think Jean.

    C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Certainly your handling of him, expectations, are very different from the time before you realized the need for surgery. I bet, if you had documented, not just the major changes of activity and attitude, but all the small changes as well, the sum total would be obvious, as it must be to him.

    Radar - be good to Caroline!!! That's an order!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Radar says 'now look here Mary Lou, she's just my passenger. It's fine by me if she comes along for the ride, but she can't start thinking she's the brains of the outfit!'.

    C

    ReplyDelete