This is so funny. I could plot a graph of the temperature and whether Woody will leave the barn by himself or not. It was minus 3 this morning and he refused to step onto the yard. I popped a rope round his neck and he tootled into his stable quite happily by my side.
The arena is frozen so I hacked Ace out. He was lovely. I've got the full measure of him at last! On the way home he started to get spooky and began to argue with me. So I dropped the reins and told him to sort himself out, and he quietly walked the rest of the way home. If I don't allow him to pick a fight with me, all his silliness just disappears.
Radar and I have also been out, further and higher than I went with Ace. He's pretty fit. If the ground thaws we'll be hunting Tuesday, when they have put on an extra date.
I'm still trying to decide whether to go out and ride Woody, but this cold I've got has knocked me for six and I think I'll just go and have a sleep instead.
C
love the dropping reins and thinking of a different way to end the arguement, i do this too, love the blog
ReplyDeletefound you on your great comments on a certain hunting thread on HHO
thank you for being a normal person who makes me smile across internetty land ;-)
SMHH I have to admit that I tried fighting him first, but it only made him worse and worse, so I had to find a different way.
ReplyDeleteHHO is a wild place, isn't it :-) ??
C
amazed you didn't have icerink roads as well!
ReplyDeleteWe did! I avoided one hill because is was a sheet from one side to the other. The rest we picked our way through.
DeleteC
Once again, interesting insights into Woody's unique personality. At least he has a future job as a weather forecaster. *G*
ReplyDeleteGood deal with Ace. He must be really confused when there is no fight about the spooks. Great technique.
Radar is, indeed, "fit as a fiddle," whatever that means. Hope you get to hunt this week. He'd love it!!
Great English expression Jean. Fit as a fiddle. I don't know where it comes from but I suspect it may have something to do with a fiddle's neat figure with a clear waistline?
DeleteC