Sunday, 9 June 2013

What a difference a day makes!

Well, more than a day, but not much more. Look at this poor, unhappy horse from June 5th, and on June 8th he was almost completely back to being as sweet and kind as you could wish for in a highly tuned horse.  I can honestly say that I have no idea how I stayed on what he did at one and a half minutes. It looks for all the world as if he was stung by a giant hornet.  I can only guess that's how it feels to have an ulcer splashed with hydrochloric acid.

http://youtu.be/vNZw6Uy_-DQ

Thank goodness for modern veterinary medicine, because that's the kind of 'unrideable'  behaviour that would have seen a horse put down in the old days.  And the solution was so easy!

I haven't ridden yet today but I'm looking forward to it.

C

7 comments:

  1. "You're a better man than I am, Gunga Din..." Ace's behavior looks SO MUCH like Tucker's. If Tucker were a better mover, like Ace, the two of them would make a match in a pairs class. (Tucker is around 17.0 h.)

    Knowing what we know now about the ulcers, I feel so sorry for the poor kid. He looked as if he was trying to do what you asked, but just couldn't. There were moments that were kind of nice although he never really softened his back all the way to let his gait stride through, but he was obviously distressed the whole time.

    I am so happy to hear the ulcer meds are doing the trick.

    And I 100% agree that he would have been sold or put down as useless/dangerous years ago. I often wonder now how many difficult horses I rode in the past were in some kind of undiagnosed pain.

    I am cheering you and Ace on to better days. If he permits it, please give him a hug from me. Or, if dignity does not allow, at least a nice neck rub.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dignity allows, Jean, he's a very cuddly boy when he feels ok.

    C

    ReplyDelete
  3. you clearly have glue there somewhere to sit that....

    interesting that it was much worse on that rein....the ulcer on that side, perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Turning right is a problem, but the earliest sign he gave me was bucking in the left canter transition, several weeks ago. I'll know what it means next time it happens.

    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. He's visibly favoring his right in an ouch way. You can see it in how he hitches his right shoulder and twists his neck in collected trot.

    Honestly, it looked like he was pulling his punches in the explosion if.that makes sense to you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Since it didnt let me finish. He looks like he was trying not to hurt or unseat you, but just couldnt take it anymore. It doesnt look malicious or intented to hurt or unseat you.
    That right shoulder really makes me wonder

    ReplyDelete
  7. He was tied in knots from one end to the other with the stomach pain, Styric.

    He is a very sweet natured horse not to just have dumped me more than once in the last two weeks.

    C

    ReplyDelete