The vet has been this morning. Luckily he has only recently completed a
course in neurological problems. He is convinced that the problem is
originating in his back behind the saddle and that it has been caused by
a field accident and not by gradual degeneration. He says that there is
too much pain in the loin region itself to be accounted for by the
problem being anywhere else. The neck and spinal process xrays are
happening here later in the week and a physio is coming up later today.
He does accept that the toe drag was probably something to do with it.
In that case, he tweaked himself a month or more ago and has nursed it
along, but then did it good and proper in the mad moment we heard them
have the morning he went ataxic. What I don't understand is why his back
was so soft in that area all through the time he was dragging his toes.
I was checking it regularly because of the toe drag.
Anyway, he says it's too soon to write him off so I have lost a night's sleep for nothing, but at least there is still hope.
C
Blimey, I hadn't logged on for a day or so and this happens!! What a shock for you, but great that your vet is so up to date on such things.
ReplyDeleteFingers crossed he can find a resolution for him and that R&R will put him right.
Hugs Tracey B
What a fluke of timing eh Tracey? How lucky am I. He's the head of the practice, too, so the most experienced. But he's still never seen one like this, it's a very uncommon injury. Trust Jazz!
DeleteC
Despite the alarming nature of Jazz' behavior this is really good news!
ReplyDeleteYou would think the area would have been stiff/that he would try to protect it from movement - hmm that is a puzzle. We need a hypothesis to try and explain that. I am wondering what the treatment is at this point. Can they further diagnosis the injury? I wonder what the physio will do. The assumption, at this point, that the problem is due to an accident, is justified cause for hope. If it was a degenerative process there would little hope in turning it around.
This is why people put their valuable horses in individual turnouts - not to eliminate the chances of injury but to lessen the chances. However horses are so much herd animals and as such are much happier, work better, are healthier with group turnout. It's a chance we have to take. A friend of mine at another stable was commenting on individual turnout at there stable - saying the horses there seemed content. What I see is motionless horses, heads hanging in boredom.
I completely agree with you ML, I will never put my horses in individual turnout to save myself heartache. I too see bored horses or fretful horses line-walking.
DeleteThe loose back until now is a puzzle, it really is. Why would he toe-drag without any other signs?
Physio is now coming tomorrow. Xrays on Friday. He is looking calm and happy on his own in the barn, so that at least is one worry off our minds that he is not fretting to be with the others.
I'm more hopeful than I was. 50/50 as we stand now, I think.
C
Very sorry to hear this - I can understand your sleepless night. Lots of good wishes for Jazz and hope that it is something that will get better.
ReplyDeleteWow you've been on a bit of roller coaster.. It does sound more positive .. so willing Jazz a full and speedy recovery..
ReplyDeleteSue
I am not at all surprised, if my own back issues relate. Sometimes I just kind of "tweak" something and and pretty well able to carry on just by favoring that part a little as I work. But then, if I am not careful, a quick turn or too much stress, and "out goes a vertabra," and I can be a major pain. Right now, I am favoring my psoas muscle which is right in the groin and controls both my ability to lift my leg and the muscles in my back. It is a hugely important muscle in humans. When it's not bothering me too much, the biggest sign is would be a kind of "toe dragging" as that leg would just not always lift the foot off the ground as much as needed. On a bad day, if the muscle pulls my back out, I'll be walking like a really old lady-with a limp.
ReplyDeleteJazz may well be far more stoic than you might think. He was probably working through the lesser pain until a misstep or some kind of foolishness with Ace just over did it all.
Once again, acupuncture can be a tremendous asset if you can find a good equine one to add to his therapy.
Lucky you to have such a good vet at your call. Ironic that he had just finished studies on this kind of problem. It all sounds like a much more positive outlook than a day or so ago.
Sending more good wishes your way and plenty of positive vibes. Jazz is one special boy who deserves all the extra care I am sure you are giving him. Just be patient.
Maybe his toe dragging made him trip or fall, causing the major injury?
ReplyDeleteThanks guys. Not good news today.
ReplyDeleteC