Tuesday, 29 May 2012

Clouds are back

But it's only the weather.

Ace has had a great night!

After getting back from MiB III  (really fun film, we loved it) Ace had got his bandage down around his ankle for the second time, so I gave up and took it off. He was removing them in hospital too, unless they used yards of elastoplast and he still unrolled that! I stuck a 10cm human plaster strip over it, worried a little about some filling returning down the tendons without the bandaging, and went to bed.

This morning, all filling has gone except for immediately around the area that we have always known was badly bruised, the cut is dry and clean and he is really, really sparky. He has such a wicked glint in his eye this morning, I can't tell you!

I put Radar in the barn with him and there is a bit of a "discussion" going on as to who is pack leader. Jazz was bottom of the pile, but did often tell Ace to get lost because Radar was his buddy and the two of them excluded Ace. Radar is now having to accept that the boy he was nasty to in school is now his only friend, and he seems to be puzzling over that one.  I have left them with more food than they can eat, so that there can be no quarrel over food.

I have no doubt at all that barring them kicking the proverbial out of each other today, Ace will be turned out with Radar tonight. There is simply no reason why not. His leg is the smallest I have seen it since he injured it, he's jumping around on it totally sound. I am going to stop the bute tonight and if it keeps going down in size then I will be riding by next week at this rate. What a turnaround!

I'm off to do a day's work to keep me out of trouble now.

C

4 comments:

  1. For future reference....bandaging hocks and knees is hard. After you bandage the hock, then you need to put a standing wrap on the leg below. That will keep the hock wrap from slipping down.
    (same with a knee.)
    If the horse is taking the wrap off, what I used to do was put some petroleum jelly on the wrap and then sprinkle on some hot pepper. There are, of course, commercial preps that discourage bandage chewing too, but the hot pepper is cheaper.

    On the other hand, it does sound as if Ace is doing well without all the extra bandages, so that's even better.

    Hope they sort out their differences and become good buddies.

    ReplyDelete
  2. He's had a great day, Jean, the leg is even smaller. I have stopped the bute and we will see how he is tomorrow. He is out in the field and very, very happy. I put him out and took Radar for a ride. That way, Radar is tired and Ace got to experience the excitement of all that space on his own first.

    Looking good!

    C

    ReplyDelete
  3. Blimme .. that title.. ever thought of righting thrillers..?

    Glad the progress is good..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just getting my sense of humour back NH :-)

    C

    ReplyDelete