Im still getting flashbacks of orbiting the moon but Im just going to have to struggle through with it until my gumption decides to come back from its holiday.
It was a cold and clear start to the day and Ace was frightened by it and by my lack of support, a bad combination. The result was that he dawdled around in walk and felt tense if I tried to push him out of the dawdle. I did manage to keep his back free, but he was not swinging along with any purpose to the walk.
I decided that dawdling was fine for both of us as long as his back was stretched, so we dawdled, and dawdled, and then dawdled some more. I asked him if he'd like to trot. He said no. He didn't mess around, he simply refused to respond to the aid. So we dawdled some more. And later I asked him if he would like to trot. And he said no. So we dawdled some more. And later I asked him if he would like to trot, and very cautiously he eased himself into a very slow trot, and we trotted some circles and some figures of eight and did a few walk/trot transitions.
When he realised that it wasn't going to hurt, he let the trot go forward and he finished on some very nice work, with a proper contact.
In spite of how much he was anticipating pain today, it is noticeable that he is swishing his tail much less than he used to. He probably only did three or four individual swishes today. That, I think, used to be a sign of actual pain as well as a sign of pressure-cooker tension.
I'm pleased with what I achieved today. I got myself through a session where I kept Ace calm and he is beginning to restore my faith in him. I got him through a session where he was very scared things were going to hurt without scaring myself by pushing for too much too early on. And I got him to understand that my hands are going to keep a contact now, whether he wants them to or not, and that I have control whether he wants that or not.
We are moving forward, I just wish I was less scared.
Radar is as sound as a bell on a hard surface, but put him on mud and he is lame. He's being a bit of a wuss about this bruise, to be honest. It's very unlike him, but I can't go hunting this Saturday anyway so it doesn't matter as long as he is getting better, which he is.
C
I am aching for you. It sounds as if you are me riding Tucker. Sluggish walk, ask for trot and uh oh! Fortunately I can push him on through the sticky stage without too much trouble, but that fear at the first threat is often hard to overcome.
ReplyDeleteI do find that when I get angry--either at myself for being scared, or at him for being naughty--it does help a lot. With Ace, though, you are still working through his issues of a fear of pain, so it's not the same kind of behavior. (Well, there may be some pain issues with Tucker, but I am not expecting the same kind of performance from him you will be expecting of Ace. With Tucker, the "dawdling" trot is just fine for now.)
Wish I could send you a few buckets of courage about now as I am really feeling for you. Hope that writing it out will help. As I said before, I am pretty darn sure Ace will get over the scary behavior the more he realizes he no longer has that back pain. It's just going to take some time.
As for Radar, yes, that behavior is unusual. He is more typically "all go," no matter what. Hope that foot heals up soon. Did the packing stay in?
I couldn't get on him if I thought it was malicious Jean, I'd be too scared.
ReplyDeleteC
i can relate to the scared, caroline, and am impressed you get on when you're on your own.. that is something i can do now, but there was a while there when i couldn't, after that fall in 2010...just remember to breathe, it helps a lot...
ReplyDeleteI did wonder today if it was sensible to be alone Claire. Trouble is it would be so restrictive to have to wait for OH or a friend could be there.
ReplyDeleteC
Feel for you! just remember to put no pressure on yourself. If all you do is dawdle around then so be it, it won't last forever and you'll get there.
ReplyDeleteThere is so much memory to overcome for both you and Ace its bound to take time. The very fact you're riding him and you've felt the difference in him means that you will get there eventually.
If I were you I wouldn't plan beforehand what you want to achieve, just get on and see where it goes, if the weathers crap just getting on and walking forward and getting off again is enough to reinforce to Ace it wont hurt. Small steps. :-)
Lyndac