Thursday, 21 November 2013

The Fran Saga continued

In case you miss it buried in the,responses, I think Fran's latest comment deserves,a blog of its own. I apologise now that if you read my response on yesterday's blog, it contains,a very naughty word indeed!!!

Anonymous has left a new comment on your post "Did ya miss me?":

My discussion is with you Caroline, I will only respond to your posts.

It is all well and good to declare you do not desire a response; however posts like yours above and below cannot be ignored (especially when you seem to be rather missing the point at times). If it is such a regret that I will continue to read your blog, make it private –it’s quite simple and is a solution you have often suggested to others when they receive advice they are not in agreement with.

It has been mentioned before that I have seen you ride. Although why that would any difference to our discussion, I am not sure.

I think you are misinterpreting my OP – I am not suggesting you whip him into a white foam to get the response required, I was suggesting that you don’t let Ace decide what response is required. If at home he gets to walk/trot/canter whenever he wants (or indeed stand fully tacked in a field instead of working), why on earth should he listen to you at another or time?

If I am interpreting your paragraph ‘...what posts have you been reading to think that you need to tell me, of all people, horses need black and white boundaries? Talk about grandmothers sucking eggs!!!’ correctly (and forgive me if not, it is hard to detect over the internet); then you are insinuating my own horses do not have boundaries. You are at liberty to pursue that train of thought, but horses without boundaries do not consistently score high 60’s at PSG, they do not score over 80 at Novice and they do not score over 70 at Elem (and with their background and breeding, boundaries and sympathetic schooling are necessary). No eggs to be sucked here, thanks. Horses are happy and so are we. Were they not, their results and progress would surely not be as glowing?

Furthermore, our trainers and sponsors continue their support and are also pleased with all areas.

As an aside, I appreciate I am very competition orientated but there is truth in saying that a horses’ competition record is a reflection of the training in place. (Though there are extenuating circumstances of course such as young horses, inexperienced riders and even the atmosphere at ‘big’ shows can make the most established of horses lose confidence in themselves and the rider.)

Of course it is none of my business; it was only a suggestion from me to you and a public blog. At the end of the day, it is only a comment and you are perfectly capable of taking or leaving it.

I would press though, that you will indeed have to progress as a rider, in order for Ace to progress, that is how it works... As he becomes stronger and more established, you will need to be there to rider that stronger and more established horse.

I trust that all makes sense now and I feel I have clarified all I can. Please note my comments are intended to be completely neutral; it is no fun being frustrated with an activity you ought to be enjoying and it is a situation of which any horse rider would be sympathetic.

Good luck with Ace, we’ll compare progress in a few years maybe.

Regards, Fran.

Posted by Anonymous to diaryoface at 21 November 2013 13:20



I think I understand a bit more about what is happening here. The first thing is that having seen me ride such a lovely and obviously talented horse as Ace at a competition, Fran is assuming that I am as motivated to gain points as she is, and genuinely thinks she is helping me achieve that. Mistaken on both counts, I'm afraid.

The second is that she is reading things that I write one day and assuming that they still apply weeks or months later. It's many sessions now since I allowed Ace to choose when and at what speed we should move on the arena. But Fran thinks it is still happening. Likewise, she believes Jazz died still behaving like he did as a four year old.

Thirdly, like the grandmother sucking eggs comment, she simply does nit understand some of what I write.

And lastly, she does not listen when corrected, either by me or by blog commenters. For example, Ace did not achieve his objective by being left in a field. His objective was not to stop work, his objective was to get back to Radar. He did not achieve that objective, and I can't recollect any horse I have ever ridden achieving their objectives through bad behaviour. I've explained that and it's been ignored.

So, let's wrap this nonsense up now and put it to bed, shall we? (This is a rhetorical question).  Ace is finally a happy and healthy horse who I am going to really enjoy training. I hacked both today and the contrast was marked. I have some musings formulating for a post tomorrow about horses who simply do not enjoy hacking out.

C



ps Fran I am now fed up with advice and criticism from you that I do not want. If you post any more of it I will delete your comments as you have suggested I should do.



7 comments:

  1. I've followed Caroline's blog for years now, crying for her over her losses and cheering her on through her successes.

    When I first started reading her blogs, Caroline was an event rider who thought dressage was "boring." I gently tried to tell her otherwise, but having once been an event/jumper rider myself, I well knew the lure of that feeling of soaring over a fence on a talented, confident horse.

    But time and a series of fateful events and special horses has led Caroline to the world of dressage at last. She is still new to the sport in many ways, but that has not held her back from dreams and ambitions to aspire to the top. To suggest that she has done nothing to improve her riding along the way is unfair. She has worked hard on the basics and continually tried to find good trainers to work with. That, as I well know, is not always easy (Even here in NJ, USA, where trainers abound--the good ones are not easy to find.) As well, she has never failed to ask for advice from her readers if they have any insight that might help.

    As for the health and welfare of her horses, she has more than once gone above and beyond expectations. Her getting the surgery for Ace is just one example of many instances. I have great respect for her knowledge and dedication to doing what she feels is best for each animal in her care.

    Learning to ride/train dressage is a journey without end. I have been riding for well over 50 years and a serious dressage rider for at least 35 of those years and I still do not consider myself an expert by any measure. I do not feel qualified to condemn anyone, especially someone like Caroline, who constantly seeks to improve and puts in the time and effort to do so.

    I do not measure success by scores in the competition arena. Like standardized test scores in school, they are not always valid measures of the quality of training that's gone into a horse. I had one horse that never performed in the show arena to the same level as he did at home or even in a clinic with an international trainer. He simply was not a "show horse." Yet when I had a top level trainer ride him, the trainer commented how well trained he was and how even he was on both reins. (I couldn't get the guy off for the duration of my lesson.)

    I think one of our responsibilities as fellow horsemen is to encourage each other. We certainly can offer advice but always with the awareness that we are ultimately "not in the other person's saddle."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jean I can't get the picture out of my head of you forlornly following your horse around the arena saying 'can I have him back now, ....please ....?'


      :-)


      C

      Delete
    2. Never did. It was a French trainer, as I recall. One with a pretty big international reputation. He was having too much fun riding my boy.

      Because I am not that far from the USET training center--used to be the focal point of our teams--we had many famous trainers come through. I rode with as many as I could whenever they offered clinics in the area. I've worked with trainers from around the world as well a a number of riders from our International teams. (And still I don't score 70%!) *G*

      Delete
  2. "one of our responsibilities as fellow horsemen is to encourage each other. We certainly can offer advice but always with the awareness that we are ultimately "not in the other person's saddle."

    Brilliantly put, Jean :-) And incidentally, what a sad state we would be in if competition was really what it was all about(!).

    Caroline, keep on keeping on and love to the boys, as always ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You can ride Ace now he's fixed, if you're in the area again, Nic. He won't rattle your head along the roof beams like Jazz did, but he's interestingly forward off the aids :-)

    C

    ReplyDelete
  4. Test to see if my kindle is playing up or if it's all of them

    C

    ReplyDelete
  5. Second test to see if it's my kindle Plato up or if it's aall. Well I guess that confirms it then this one's going back to Argos pronto.

    C

    ReplyDelete