Monday, 27 June 2011

More changes of plan.

Sonia texted this morning to change our venue for tomorrow. I had already told her that I didn't want to travel to Chesterfield. It is another 8 miles further and winding, hilly, difficult road. It will add at least 40 minutes and over £5 to the round trip. Worst of all, it reminded us of many, many days spent sat in her yard in the freezing cold wondering if she was going to turn up (she missed completely once) or how late (she was late most times, up to an hour and never less than 20 minutes). So, we haven't got our first lesson under our belt yet and we have already had a change of date and a change of venue. I don't think this is going to work :-( 

She certainly wants to have me back, her messages are upbeat, but I can't be doing with this messing about in the middle of winter, so what's the point starting again now? I have contacted a local BHSII who I like and has a super undercover 20x60 and I will take Ace and see how I get on with her. She used to watch me school Jazz there last winter and when I discussed him with her she said "put him up to medium", and repeated that advice several times over the weeks. She was right, we both enjoy mediums, so it's a good start!


I schooled Jazz this morning. It was hot but he worked hard for me. He does some superb flying changes now. I half halt into them, feel him sit, change my legs over and he jumps through into the other lead. It is such fun!  He also did some very, very nice half pass canter (fantastic to the right) and some best-he-can-do half pass trot. I untacked him and he went and stood by the hose, so I showered him off and he was most put out when I stopped! It was clear he would have stood there in the stream of water all morning. Tetley used to love it just as much.

This afternoon I hacked Radar out in draw reins and I was glad I did as he was sparky. He fought them a bit when he realised what control I had, but in the end he stretched down and forward on a loose rein and was using himself better and straighter than he ever has before. I will continue with them for a while I think, it feels like they encourage him to understand how to "join up" the various bits of his very big body. I don't hold him in with them unless he is being silly and not listening to me, which he did once or twice. As soon as he steadies his stride I encourage him to reach forward, I just don't let him keep popping his head up and dropping his back or falling forward off his shoulders like he wants to.

Ace had the day off. He is turning into a great big softee who loves a quiet cuddle. Butterkins, on the other hand loves a bit of a hard backscrub, which he gets on a daily basis unless he's wet. I love his summer coat, it has such a clear black stripe down the middle of his back :)

C

4 comments:

  1. Too bad about Sonia. I know how much you like to ride with her. Hope the other trainer works out. It's fine schooling on your own, but you really do need those extra eyes and assistance here and there to progress to the upper levels.

    Jazz has become a super ride. I knew you'd master those changes. Now, on to the tempis!! (Just remember when you start them, it may mess up the singles a bit as Jazz's enthusiasm grows. But that will sort itself out pretty quickly once he understands the concept and that he needs to "wait" for you to cue him.)

    Good work with Radar, again. I will be interested to hear if the remedial draw reins have a lasting effect.

    Pictures of shedded out Buttie would be nice. I'm not sure I've ever seen him except in fuzzball mode. *G*

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just yesterday, after a short but very hot ride, I hosed Tetley for a long time, starting with warm then graduating to cold water. He loved it - it must have felt so good. Think of all the heat in a body that size!

    There is an excellent trainer here in Boulder too but, like Sonia, she is either late or forgets completely. I gave up on her.

    Love your description of a flying change!

    I wanna see Fuzzball too in his summer coat.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I seem to have been stuck in some sort of time warp - I've only just cottoned on to the fact that Tetley has emigrated! How lovely and what an exciting life that horse has had - he really ought to write a book:-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll get you some photos Jean.

    ML he loves a bath, doesn't he? And what luxury - warm!! He never got that here :-)

    Fun, isn't it Liz - you should take a look at ML's blog and see the amazing place he's in with the snowcapped mountains in the background. It's awesome!

    C

    ReplyDelete