Monday, 6 May 2013

We isn't working this afternoon.

Ooh, nobody wanted to work this afternoon !  Ace refused to come out of the stable and Radar just kept trying to go back to his. The sun was - wait for it - hot! And they  just  couldn't be bothered.

When I did get Ace working he was throwing a right paddy at the barrels, which I had to work very hard to avoid reacting to, but I'll take a pat on the back for succeeding. I have a lot more patience than I did when I was younger, thank goodness. He did eventually just trot past without hardly a murmur.

Then he was running into his medium trots and had to be constantly rebalanced. He did the same in the canters.  I was pleased with getting any quality of work out of him at all.

Radar just did not want to walk. Every time I released the reins he just went into trot. Wouldn't bend, wouldn't relax, wouldn't give to the bit. I got off and changed his bit from a French link to a Myler copy. It's a much thinner bit and very hard for him to set onto and that made quite a big difference. It's also a D ring, so I can move his head  by bringing my hand out sideways, which is a big help if he is simply ignoring the leg.

I am working tomorrow but we have E40 booked for Wednesday. I'll just go and look
out my hipflask!

C




6 comments:

  1. hope it cools down a bit then, LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess everyone's entitled to a "I'm not going to work" day now and then. A bit strange that Ace would be reluctant in the warm weather when you consider his back issues and the heat lamps.

    But your new found patience and understanding seemed to have worked to some degree with both Boys in the end.

    Just take a good hearty "sip" from that flask now and then on Wednesday, and I guarantee you will have a good time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think Ace just felt like it was time for a snooze Jean :-)

      C

      Delete
  3. Are you sure it was hot?

    I think I need one of those hip flasks :-)

    ReplyDelete