Thursday, 17 January 2013

More road work for Woody

Woody's feet were due another self-trimming session on the tarmac, so out we went for our road work. And it was work too. There is no way that I would have chosen to ride out in that temperature and the wind for fun!  Radar should also have worked, but there is no possibility that we will be hunting on Saturday, so I didn't stay out any longer than I had to and he went without. It kills my chest going from one temperature to another as well. I'm much better than I was but I still sound like a very sick diesel bus every morning and periodically choke during the day and night.

I can't say Woody was fun to ride. I didn't make the mistake I made last time, of trying to hold him to a walk. I jogged him on, but he was still jogging well after I turned for home. I really did think he'd have realised that walk would be easier by then. He is a complete specialist in setting his back against me - he does it so easily because he is so short. So I ride putting him back out in front of me every 3 to 4 strides. It's a pain.

I think the real problem was that I had turned the other two out and he was really cross not to have been allowed out with them. That's tough, because I can absolutely promise him that will happen again, (and again), if he wants to live here.

I'm girding my lions now (should that be loins :-) ? I think I'd rather have some lions to gird :-) to go back out into that frrrreeeezing cold night air and put the boys to bed. Last night I had to boil a kettle full of snow and thaw the exit pipe from the automatic waterer in the barn. I had it set to let too little water out and it froze. It was fine this morning after I turned the flow rate up overnight to make it keep turning itself on and bring warmer water in, so I hope I won't have to repeat that faffing about tonight.

I wonder if Radar will let anyone come in?

C

4 comments:

  1. I am giggling about the lions, or is it loins?

    Just to make you jealous, we had an incredibly nice day, temps of about 10C, no wind and sunny. Tetley took me out hacking (his choice), then he let me work him in the outdoor arena. What a great friend he is!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the cold air is on its way here in a few days.

    Glad you braved the lions in your loins to get Woody out. You must have needed the lions to deal with him and his jogging. I hate it when a horse does that but in this case, maybe all the extra motion in the saddle helped keep you warm.

    Hope you got all the Boys in without too much "Radarference."

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He came in fine, but then it was minus 5 with a windchill to minus 10 - it seems to focus his mind a little :-)

      C

      Delete