Friday, 7 October 2011

The scale of the project

It's close to being finished now and there won't be any more progress before my holiday because they have gone off for a well earned rest for tomorrow.I'm not sure that the pictures so far have given any real idea of just how big a project this was. So to give you an idea, here is the corner, so that you can see how much ground has had to be moved to make a flat 30 metres. The digger is not an ordinary one, it has a super-sized bucket on it, around five feet in height:





The surface is absolutely fabulous. This is it, still to be "groomed" and more rubber added, but I am sure that it is identical to the surface that we usually compete on. I thought I would get the cheaper stuff in the warm-up arenas, which is longer fibres. This is MUCH better than that and I never thought I could get such a superb surface for the price.




I finally got my stables back today and the boys are happily eating their tea. There is a little damage to the concrete yard, but not as much as I had feared. It was not built to carry 5 ton vehicles with 5 tons of stuff in the scoop! There is no damage to the main tarmac yard, thankfully, just a bit of broken tarmac that we will have to repair at the gateway on the road side. SH is stressed to high heaven with having his home invaded for over a week by lorries and people and sand and limestone and rubber chip. Thank goodness he can have a quiet day tomorrow before I take him off for a break on Sunday afternoon. By the time we come home on Friday it will be ready to ride on. We'll have to christen it with a bottle of champagne, won't we :-)

C

2 comments:

  1. Absolutely gorgeous!! And I am well aware of the scope of the project and the size of the machines. That's the kind that got stuck in my driveway last winter. *G*...and the size that did my arena. Big tools for a big job.

    Love the idea of the champagne. Enjoy your break, calm SH down and get ready for some great riding ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes I think we'll stand on it and drink the champagne as opposed to smashing the bottle on the boarding like launching a ship, though :-)

    C

    ReplyDelete