Saturday, 6 August 2011

I took Ace out for a hack this afternoon to give him a break and see how he behaved. He was very perky, and more forward than he has been out on a hack lately. He certainly seems to be feeling well now that he is fit and fed properly. His feet have completely stopped splitting at the bottom edge, which is what I was hoping for.

He has a character that I have never dealt with before. There is no doubt that he is incredibly oversensitive to little irritations, but he is also in a feisty-fives stage where he is seeing what he can get away with. I have to find a balance between making it clear what he has to do, without allowing him to get into a fight with me, or fling himself around like the pictures you've seen. He's an interesting challenge at the moment.

I schooled Jazz but we were out there hardly any time, because after warming up  he gave me the most super half pass left in trot that he has ever done, and I stopped straight away. I came off the corner on the left rein, into shoulder in, and when his shoulders were pointing at the far corner I kept them going straight forward, while asking for travers with the back end. And it clicked mentally what I wanted, and over he went in half pass. Fantastic!

Ace turned on the tap in the barn this afternoon. Luckily we were home and I heard the pump going, so I checked the house for things using water and could find none. So I went outside and there he was looking at the puddle and saying "hey, isn't that great? Did I do that??"  So SH has had to put a plate over the tap now, to stop him doing it again. He is SO nosy, you can't leave anything within reach of him!!

The Butkins is in  a very cute phase too. He keeps coming to me, even leaving food, for me to stroke his face, massage his lips, or scratch his shoulders and back. He's such a sweet chap for a Shetland, who have a reputation for cheek not cuddles.

C

3 comments:

  1. Better you on the young horses than me. I am very glad that Tetley is 15, not 5 like his explosive, spooky neighbor.

    That half pass - isn't it fun when they smoothly and correctly execute a lateral movement.

    Very clever Ace - I think he needs some toys.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good thing Ace and Chance don't live in the same barn. I have a feeling they would be up to more mischief than any of us could handle. Thinking of Ace standing in the puddle is kind of funny though. *lol*

    Talented horses can be tricky rides. I suspect you will find the right formula to bring out the best in Ace. You certainly succeed with Jazz, so just keep that success in mind.

    At least Buttie is small enough to hug properly. What a cutie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Five is a bad age ML, they all seem to become a "terrible teenager" at five!

    Jean, Ace has bitten through two hoses until I decided it had to be taken out of the barn every day. Until we got him, it lived in there coiled up on a horse-shoe hook. He and Chance together would be bad boys!

    C

    ReplyDelete