There was a big improvement in Ace's manners today. I think it was my more disciplined approach, but it could have been the ranitidine, time will tell when I stop using it. He set off in a stilted walk and then set his back and swished his tail and felt very unwilling, so I flicked him on the bum with the whip and from then on he was great. I will keep him on the ranitidine until we compete again and if he behaves well I will stop it again and we will see what happens.
I tried some of Jazz's test for tomorrow and I let him take the kind of contact that Ace does. I forgot that with Jazz a firm contact is always, always, always made into an excuse to lean and pull and set. After quite a while of wondering why we were hopping in shoulder in and incapable of changing bend without cantering, I got him off my hands with a kick and a tweak of the reins, and suddenly all was lightness and ease! Why is is that we can know something so well and then forget it all over again????
It is foul outside right now with a howling wind and driving rain. I hope it's better tomorrow!
C
Interesting re the Rantadine, it works very quickly if its the right thing doesn't it?
ReplyDeleteGood luck today with Jazz, I hope its YOUR day.
Tracey
In my experience ranitidine will produce an effect within 48 hours, often sooner, if the horse has excess stomach acid, Tracey. It's really useful because it's easily available in the supermarket and it is a proven drug for horses. Though omeprazole is much lower dose and drug of choice for both species!
ReplyDeleteC