Thursday, 10 March 2011

What does "trainable" mean?

I was told after I had bought Ace that his father was renouned for throwing trainable stock and that they were much sought after in Germany for that reason.

Until owning Ace, my definition of trainable was that the horse was happy to listen to its trainer and attempt to do what it had been asked.

I have a different definition now, especially since an absolutely brilliant session that I had with Ace yesterday. We have been taking him once a week to a 20x60. He has hardly any schooling in between those trips, because the barn is too tight for his huge paces and limited balance at the moment. In spite of that, each week that we go his work has improved hugely from the week before. Yesterday, he did a prelim "test" that would have done him real credit in a competition. And this is in spite of loose ponies in the corral next door, all sorts of distractions in the arena  and workmen doing fitting out to a clubroom on one side, with sawing and banging. Oh, and someone has a bird-scarer going "bang" every couple of minutes quite nearby too.

"Trainability" for Riccione offspring appears to mean something on another level altogether. My new definition is:

"the horse is actively seeking advice from its trainer, actively seeking the gentle support of the rein, and listening constantly for new directions"

The difference between him and Jazz is a chasm! Jazz trots a 60 metre long side on an arena and at nine years old, lost in his own thoughts,  is still surprised when you ask him to turn a circle. Ace trots the same long side and is waiting for when you want him to turn, stop, or go faster. But when I say "waiting" I do not mean that he is hanging back, far from it, he is so forward that I am still sometimes nervous of how fast it feels as if we are going. On video, it's a perfect speed, it's just that his hind leg snaps through so quick and active that it feels much faster.

I think I've come to the conclusion that if you want to look like a great rider the easiest way to do it is to buy a great horse :-) !

C

3 comments:

  1. So true about that last statement, which is why the good ones usually cost so much.

    On the other hand, if you want to become a great trainer, then you need to ride/train the horses like Jazz. There's where you hone all the skills you need to make a fabulous horse like Ace the best he can be.

    I've had horses with trainable attitudes--perhaps not quite as good as Ace--but they've all lacked the amazing physical talent he seems to have. It must be a wonderful combination to ride when you have both.

    You'll be able to use your own outdoor when the weather improves??? I hope? That is going to make schooling even more fun. No hassle of travel beforehand. What a treat.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hurrah, so happy to have you back. Very exciting to hear about Ace, can't wait to see how far he takes you
    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's grand Jean, I'll let you try if you ever come this side of the pond :-)

    It'll be a long slow journey Sarah. I can't imagine ever arguing with him, it would be so destructive, and he is very weak and backward, more three going on four than four going on five.

    But such a lovely boy :-)))

    ReplyDelete