Tuesday, 8 March 2011

Hacking out

I had two lovely hacks today. First on Jazz, who managed to contain his fear that his own shadow was going to attack him, and mostly swing along nicely under a brilliant blue sky. It was a wonderful morning. He is still very spooky, but nowhere near as bad as he used to be, and I enjoy riding his power and ability every time I sit on him. Having Ace has taken the pressure off whether Jazz will every fulfill his potential. It doesn't matter any more. Ace is the long term prospect. Jazz is the project horse. It's changed my relationship with him entirely for the better. Allan is a clever man, I have to say, to have engineered this situation!

Then I hacked out on Ace, the fourth time he has been out. The first time he was bold and confident. The second, very nervous, and at times a bit shaky. He is now getting over the nerves and he promises to be a wonderful hack in time. He is interested, though very suspicious of uneven road surfaces and, of all things, of sheep! Traffic is fine, but sheep are something to worry about :-)

 I have bought a WOW H girth for Ace and Jazz. Jazz developed real problems with the saddle slipping forwards over his withers. Allan spotted it. Sonya did not notice, but the first time I went training with Allan alone, he said to me "why are you sat so far forward, and why does he have such a long back?" He doesn't have a long back, it was the saddle moving. It has taken me a change of panel, the addition of a foregirth to hold the girth straps right forward in the girth groove AND an H girth (£105)  to sort it out. But when I stop sitting over his shoulders and sit over his back, Jazz in SO much easier to ride!!

Ace has a completely different issue - whatever saddle you put on him wobbles about like crazy! It feels so insecure it's really frightening, though he doesn't react to a wobbling saddle at all, bless him. The H girth sorts out the wobble, though the first time it was on I did think he was about to do a rodeo act. This is what I am talking about:

http://www.flair.uk.com/wow/wowaccessories.htm

3 comments:

  1. Oh, how interesting. I will be trying a Le Tixerant girth this spring as I managed to get one reasonably priced on Ebay.

    Jazz is still, apparently Jazz, although things do seem to have improved. He will ever be a challenge--like my Tucker. (no physical resemblance, but mental, for sure!)

    Glad to hear Ace shows promise out hacking. As much fun as dressage can be, going out of the arena to just ride and get your horse fit is really important.

    Alan is a very clever fellow...*G*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet a lot of horses as nice as Ace don't get to go out hacking regularly. He will only benefit from it, I am sure. To think, he's out hacking the same roads as Tetley used to. I like that!

    Still, I just can't imagine riding a horse like that. His gaits are like nothing I have ever ridden and the contact sounds wonderful.

    Glad Jazz is improving out hacking. Radar, the jumping machine, fills your risk taking need and Buttie, well, we all need something little and cute. Someday I am getting Tetley one.

    So nice to have you blogging again!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds all good...

    i rashly forgot that i have to check in every day, your updates don't show up in the list like everyone elses do, oops!

    wobbly saddles sound very weird, might it be something that'll improve as he matures and muscles up?

    ReplyDelete