Please read yesterday's comments if you haven't already, it gives a fascinating insight into what may actually be the problem with Ace. It looks not unlikely that when he was much younger, he has had a wither injury which creates the tightness over his back which is resolved by penetrating heat but not by a back massage pad. I'll get you a picture of his withers tomorrow to show you what I mean, if it will show up. It's easy to miss. I'd be much happier with this as a diagnosis than the other most likely alternative, kissing spines. Kissing spines could get worse, and clearly this problem is getting better every day.
I heated him up today and schooled, to compare with the massage pad yesterday before I sell it. It was absolutely definite as far as I was concerned. He still stuck his head down to sniff the frost, but I had no issues at all bringing it up and I worked him in a way that I am certain yesterday would have caused him to buck. All his fluidity was back and he was really bouncing.
We did trot and canter spiral in and leg yield out, then practised out canter/walk, which we need to perfect before we can ask for flying changes. He's getting pretty good at them, just a couple of jog strides and then he walks. The walk to canter is a piece of cake :-) I finished on a long low bouncy trot, marvelling at how easy it is these days to get him to stretch.
I just love the way he doesn't argue with me. He's the best horse I've ever trained in that respect. If he loses balance and sets on the bit, I can do a number of things to free him up and he does not argue, he just does what I ask. So we stop, or half halt, or turn, or I raise one rein, or whatever else seems appropriate at the time, and instead of yanking at the bit or charging through it like Jazz (even Tetley in his early days!) he simply gives to the bit and rounds up and works.
I need to look back and see just how few weeks ago it was that I came inside on a Sunday night and said I never wanted to get on him again. What a change in the pair of us.
Radar and I had a smashing hack. Forward, relaxed, rythmic and sheer joyful.
And TOMORROW, it really does look like ................................
WOODY GOES HUNTING!!!!
C
I'll say it's interesting. Only had one horse with a wither issue...TB that had apparently broken his wither at one point. However, he was a retrain and I didn't do too much with him. My friend had him for a while and he did tend to buck, but after we gave him to my trainer and a new home, he was fine. Don't know how much of his behavior was from his wither and how much from just needing some training. My vet said not to worry about it.
ReplyDeleteHowever, if Ace has some kind of discomfort from and old injury there it could well make sense that he'd be reactive in the way you describe. Too bad x-rays are so expensive. It would be nice to know.
But all that matters, really, is his "ace" behavior now. He is proving to be remarkable in both talent and temperament. I love how cooperative he is. I, like you, am not used to horses who choose to go on the bit as a constant reaction instead of the last resort.
Radar continues to soar on his angel wings and Woody is all set to go out to earn his. (Did I hear a bell ring?--another movie reference.) I am happily waiting to hear the hunt report on him.
And, I am not so happily waiting for a snowstorm to arrive here in some form or another...*sigh*
Wehave more snow forecast for Sunday but I should be able to get out tomorrow.Fingers crossed.
ReplyDeleteC