Tuesday, 5 June 2012

Buckaroo!

This morning I thought it would be a good idea to lunge Ace with his tack on. I occurred to me that because I was so upset about Jazz, that he has had a saddle on once in the last month, and even then he was like an unexploded timebomb because of the tension of what was happening with Jazz. Both mine and his own because Jazz had been separated from the herd because he was too weak to be left with them.

Anyway, it was a good job I did, because he rodeo'd for a good few minutes objecting to both the saddle and the girth, and I wouldn't have wanted to have been sat on that :-) !!

But he was completely sound, so I decided to give him a proper lunge session, both to test out the leg and to give him time to settle in the tack. We did about ten minutes in all, five on each rein including quite a lot of canter. I have never taught him the term "canter" and so anyone walking down the road would, unless they are French or German, be very puzzled to hear me call out "gallop" as the command. The emphasis is on the second syllable, and he reacts instantly.

I've just turned them out for the night and his hock now has some definition in it that it has not had since the accident, so things are going very well. Tomorrow, when the vet was, until I cancelled, due to come and tell me whether I can turn him out, I will lunge him in his saddle until he stops bucking (if he does) and then ride for 10 minutes.

I went to watch a friend do a dressage test today, took one look at a horse in the arena part way through his test, got a strong feeling of being on Jazz doing his last medium test there and burst into tears! It's a good job I wasn't there trying to compete Ace, isn't it? I am going to enter for next Wednesday and take whichever of RadaR or Ace seems the more sensible choice.

C

5 comments:

  1. Caroline I have just caught up on your blog after not seeing it for some time. I am so sorry for your loss of such a special partner in Jazz.
    Glad Ace is recovering from his injury, looking forward to hearing who goes out to play dressage pony next week x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very glad you weren't on top of Ace.. sounds truly explosive.. LOL at Gallop command .. I remember reading a classical text that had been translated literally .. was wondering how long exactly it would take to prepare for Counter Gallop and Gallop pirouette.. ;) Very good job you visited dressage comp before actually competing, it so much about giving yourself appropriate space to grieve without wallowing. All the best and carrots to the terrible twosome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's been a tough time Sarah but I think we are through it now, hopefully.

    They weren't huge bucks NH but I wouldn't have wanted to be on top :-)

    C

    ReplyDelete
  4. You got me crying again too. That feeling is very strong when you first begin to realize the physicality of the loss along with the emotional. But, if you can keep the best of that feeling in yourself, you will be able to use it when you ride Ace and Radar, trying to make them the dressage horses to do Jazz proud. Just remember, he's the one who taught you how to ride dressage....

    Glad you weren't on Ace. Sounds like an even more explosive version of that dressage test we all remember with dread.

    Nothing wrong with "gallop," as long as it works. Seems as if the lungeing is a good idea until you are confident the Buckeroo will not live up to his nickname.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its so tough in the early days after losing such a personality as Jazz, sending you hugs.

    Taking Radar to do a dressage test is just great, can you imagine yourself suggesting that 2 years ago?? Woo Hoo.

    Take care

    ReplyDelete