Small hedges, tall hedges, big deep ditches, wide hedges, hedges with timber in them, holly hedges, big deep river crossings, blackthorn hedges, drop hedges, thick hedges, thin hedges
and one
GINORMOUS tall and wide hedge which only two people jumped
the Field Master .......
and .......
me!!
Everyone was congratulating the Field Master and I had to say "I jumped it too" before Radar got the congratulations he deserved.
We've been out for well over four hours with some terrific long runs in lovely cool weather with superb footing. Radar was well on form, and I can bask in the glory of it all summer until September and then start it all over again.
C
Wow Radar Hedgemeister
ReplyDeleteEven better, at the end of season party last night I was congratulated a number of times. I asked Chris, the Field Master, how high the hedge was and he asked the guy who set the line. He pointed to some way above the top of his own head and then said, with total astonishment "You didn't JUMP it, did you??????"
DeleteHe was shocked that Chris had jumped it and when Chris pointed to me and said I had too, he was gobsmacked - well he is about 25 and he thinks anyone over 50 is past it, no doubt :-)
C
Fantastic! What a way to end the season! Stupid question - why don't they have hunts in the summer?
ReplyDeleteNot stupid if you didn't grow up on a farm :-)
DeleteThe fields are either growing crops or have the cows back out on them, pregnant or with calves at foot for beef herds and if dairy, simply too many of them to get them moved so that we can gallop across their grazing.
On Exmoor, where there is no domestic stock, they hunt for much longer than we do and only break for the real hot weather and the breading season for fox and deer.
C
Not stupid if you didn't grow up on a farm :-)
DeleteThe fields are either growing crops or have the cows back out on them, pregnant or with calves at foot for beef herds and if dairy, simply too many of them to get them moved so that we can gallop across their grazing.
On Exmoor, where there is no domestic stock, they hunt for much longer than we do and only break for the real hot weather and the breading season for fox and deer.
C
And a grand time was had by all...especially the "highhedging" Radar!
ReplyDeleteNo hunting in the summer because the fields are planted, I take it.
Hope you find some chances to get Radar out to play, though. He is not the kind to just hang out all the time with no obstacles to overcome...*G*
Did they get any pics of this hunt?
Pics are on a closed Facebook site Jean, but you can join it. For some reason I can't see it even though I am a member. It's north east cheshire drag hunt.
DeleteRadar sulked horribly last summer so I do plan to take him to some parties this year :-)
C
Where did that double post come from? This site is very odd these days.
ReplyDeleteC.