OK. Radar is best on whichever rein you start him on first. Now what does that mean? I figured that it meant that it was the change of balance that upsets him, not the pace itself, so today we worked on changes of rein in walk and in trot. It took a long time, but with half-halts every single stride, he finally trotted some nice figures of eight with a change of bend in balance through the middle. He took a flippin' age to agree to walk nicely again afterwards, and I had to give up any idea of working on the canter like I meant to, but it was a good session.
Ace was so sweet it was delightful. Quiet, responsive and just absolutely lovely. He did a number of his best ever trot transitions, so now we are working on a forward transition to walk, which he is resisting a little because he wants to carry on trotting.
I am finally getting to understand him. With other horses in the past I have insisted and pushed them into behaving how I want them to. With him, I was determined not to do that. In retrospect, my lack of determination and direction actually left him floundering for a leader at times. If I had been braver and he had been less like Smartie, we would have been where we are now many weeks ago. On the other side, I have never abused his trust or given him any reason to fear me, always allowed for his physical problem with an acid stomach, and we have a relationship which is different from that which I have had with other horses and which holds a lot of promise for the future.
What I love about riding is that after more than 30 years you can continue to learn, change and get new experiences. It's great, isn't it?
C
ps have I told you how much I love my new arena?
Ah, that new arena. I would love it too if it were mine. Every day it will make a difference for you and your horses.
ReplyDeleteI don't have tons of experience but for me, I would say it takes a year to really get to know a horse as an individual. I don't know why it takes so long but there are many levels to get through I guess. And what does it matter that you might have been where you are now, weeks ago. That's the thing about having your own horse - you do what you want when you are both ready for it. The fact that you so enjoyed Ace today seems to indicate that you were both ready and aware of working together.
Uh, yeah, you love your new arena.....*lol*
ReplyDeleteInteresting about Radar. When I first started Chance, I had a similar problem. He'd be great on the first side and all stiff and rushy on the second. Lots of bending and figure 8 kind of work helped a lot.
Lovely to hear about Ace. Always keep that stomach issue in mind as it may well crop up now and again.I theorize much of it is the nature of the horse with environment and management the second and third elements. If he is a type A personality, that anxiety will always be there at times.
But, in the meantime, how wonderful to hear you have established a special relationship with him. Once that happens between horse and rider, he will give you the moon if you ask.
Actually, I think you have a bit of that with Jazz too, but he has his own, strong personality and doesn't depend on you as much as Ace, so you don't notice it. But if you think about how much patience and understanding you have given him and how far he has progressed, you will see it.
And Radar? He's his own man who just loves it when you let him express himself! I have a feeling he and Buttie are two peas in a very oddly sized pod. *G*
YOu can know you love them much earlier though ML, can't you? I loved Jazz from the start but it's taken five years to learn how to ride him!
ReplyDeleteStrangely, Jean, I think Jazz needs me even more, but he has such a strong will that he does not admit it to himself sometimes.
C