Thursday, 18 October 2012

New names, new objectives

I accidentally called Windy "Woody" yesterday and it's just stuck. Although his full name is Windsor, Woody suits him far better. It's a solid, dependable, friendly name and it really matches his character. His owner used to call him Mr W, but she said she didn't mind what I call him, so I think it will be Woody, as SH really likes it and wants me to stick with it.

Anyway, Woody had his first hack today and he was a good boy. Just 15 minutes up to the main road and back. He was understandably a little nervous, but very well behaved. He was sound, but "tight" in his action. Once we have him striding out in front better he is going to be very comfortable to ride, he has such a strong, supportive back under my seat and a leg at each corner. It's almost like sitting in a basket saddle :-)))

Ace has a new objective. Gone is any attempt to increase his training and extend his physical ability. The number one, and only, objective now is to keep a relaxed back.  I am walking, walking, walking until he will keep his back relaxed in spite of any spooky things he thinks he sees. If he stiffens, I turn and bend him until he relaxes and goes forward again. I am not pushing when he slows, I am allowing him to walk as slowly as he chooses provided he stays loose through his body. When he relaxes in walk, he is allowed to do a relaxed trot, and today we finished on a long, low trot circle.  When he can keep the trot relaxed past the spooks, then we will canter, but not before.

I've done this because I do not think we can progress until he learns to drop all this tension that we have managed to create between us. I have totally failed to do it with being more controlling, he has simply got worse. I don't know whether he would eventually give in if I continue to battle with him, but I have lost the will to ride him if that is what is needed.

He is very puzzled at the moment, but already he has dropped the fight over any blue barrels that are inside the arena, even though they are actually rolling in the wind. He is now only spooking at the ones outside the boards, which are completely still, and this I find impossible to understand. Tomorrow all 4 will be back outside the boards, in different places again from today and that will continue until he gives up noticing them at all. 

I feel such a failure with him at the moment. But I have to remind myself that two years ago he would not walk and constantly tried to go faster and that all last winter I was having to wear my air jacket because he felt so explosive. Also I used to have to start every session with several circuits with my legs off his sides because if I touched him he bucked. That's all different now, so I can't have done that badly, I guess. I just hope I can get somewhere with this quieter approach, because it's about my last playing card in the pack.

C

2 comments:

  1. Interesting decision about Ace. Here's a thought. It seems Tucker best responds to positive input from me. I remember years ago when I was riding Toby with Lockie Richards and as we were working, and, while I don't remember exactly what happened, something went wrong and after a moment of trying to correct it, Lockie stopped everything, stood there thinking for a moment and said, "We need to praise him. He needs to be told what a wonderful horse he is and how good he is trying to be." He came up and stroked Toby's head, gave him a bit of a cuddle and then we started working again. Toby was wonderful after that.

    I am taking a similar approach with Tucker now, making sure I give him great praise whenever he does something right or responds well to a correction or aid. Confrontation has largely failed, mostly because he scares me at times, and just riding strongly really doesn't seem to get any permanent results.

    Perhaps if you add some more extravagant praises when Ace does succeed at something--passing the barrels without fussing, giving you that nice soft back--maybe he will respond in kind. I haven't quite proven that it works with Tucker yet, but things do seem to be getting better.

    Meantime, I like "Woody," too. It has more character than "Windy." I love that "leg at each corner" feeling! He sounds like a great guy. Fate was really smiling on you when he came into your life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always praise Ace when he approximately does what I want Jean. It does settle him to be praised. New info on today's blog though.

    C

    ReplyDelete